To ensure anti-rabies treatment for those who are bitten. In the year 1900, the Pasteur Institute in Paris sent a permanent mission to Algiers, headed by the brothers Edmond and Etienne Sergent, to check the hypotheses issued by Dr Alphonse Laveran on the malaria agent. In accordance with the findings of the mission, the Pasteur Institute of Algeria was created on December 31, 1909, born of the merger between this mission and the Pasteur Institute of Algiers.
The Pasteur Institute of Algeria was regarded as an overseas institute, attached to the headquarters and placed under the supervision of the local colonial authorities, following a contract signed by C. JONNART, Governor-General of Algeria and the Pasteur Institute of Paris, headed by Dr Jean ROUX.
This contract defines the Pasteur Institute of Algeria as "the center of scientific research according to Pasteurian methods" which is entrusted "with the study of the virulent diseases of man, animals and plants of interest to Algeria and Countries of North Africa, teaching of microbiological methods, organization and direction of all work, missions and scientific studies related to microbiological or public health research in Algeria ".
The direction of this Institute was entrusted to Doctor Albert CALMETTE (from 1910 to 1912), then to Doctor Edmond SERGENT (from 1912 to 1962). The action of this establishment, limited initially to the anti-rabies service, soon extended to the preparation of sera and vaccines, to the organization of the antimalarial service, and generally to the study of pathology The mass departure of the French cadres in 1962 forced the Pasteur Institute of Algeria to temporarily stop its scientific activities. Dr. BEGUET will act until April 1963, when the management will be entrusted to Dr. Robert NEEL who will revitalize the scientific and training activities within the Institute for the production of sera and vaccines. They will lead the IPA to its Algerianization, in 1971.
On 21 June 1971, by Order no. 71-45, the Pasteur Institute of Algeria was set up as a "non-profit, public-benefit institution with civil personality and financial autonomy". The ministry entrusted its direction to Professor Mostefa BENHASSINE (from 1971 to 1986). The Institute was then invested with a threefold mission:
Research and reference in the fields of microbiology, parasitology and immunology,
Production and distribution of sera and vaccines for human and veterinary use,
Training of scientific and technical personnel in its fields of activity.
Subsequently, the Pasteur Institute of Algeria changed its legal status in accordance with Executive Decree No. 94-74 of 30 March 1994, to become "a public institution of an industrial and commercial character (EPIC)" for the sole purpose of Regularize its commercial activity, while keeping its initial missions.
This decree will be amended and supplemented by Decree No. 98-234 of 21 July 1998.
From 1894 to 1909 the seat was on the Boulevard "Avenue Pasteur- Algiers center".
From 1909 to 2005, the headquarters was located at 1, rue du Dr. Laveran El-Hamma, Algiers.
From 2005 to the present, headquarters and part of the diagnostic and research activities are located in Dely-Brahim
The Pasteur Institute of Algeria is also currently part of the International Network of Pasteur Institutes (RIIP), coordinated by the Pasteur Institute of Paris. Their common objective is to develop a program of scientific co-operation, in particular for:
Protection of public health, in particular for the surveillance and epidemiological control of infectious and parasitic diseases (AIDS, influenza, tuberculosis, malaria, cholera, etc.);
Participation in major international or regional research programs (clinical research, epidemiological surveys, basic research, etc.);
Training of scientific personnel (biologists, researchers and technicians) as part of their public health and research activities.